[Sviannouncements] food for life!

ashley ironwood ashley at svionline.org
Sat May 10 19:25:34 EDT 2008

the sequatchie valley institute at moonshadow
invites you to the tenth annual

food for life
in the new millenium

a gathering about the source and protection of life
held in beautiful rural tennessee.

with a special tour of the sequatchie cove farm on the 16th.

our tenth annual comprehensive food conference includes skill-building
workshops as well as discussion-oriented political dialogues (see
schedule below).

learn various food preservation strategies including fermentation
(miso, sauerkraut, kimchi, wine, beer, mead and champagnes) as well as
different methods of cooking and diet choices, health and nutrition.

attend workshops on edible and medicinal plants, permaculture and
organic gardening practices.

engage in theoretical and political explorations of the social and
ecological implications of industrial agriculture. discuss strategies
for mobilizing against biotech and agribusiness, and promoting
sustainable community-based food systems.

all workshops at the sequatchie valley institute are intentionally
affordable using a sliding scale based on your income.
food exchange is available.

for more information:
www.svilonline.org (you can now register online!)
ashley at svionline.org
(423) 949-5922

***********************************

FOOD FOR LIFE SCHEDULE 2008

(subject to change - please call if you want to be sure about a
particular workshop)

Food for Life is run on CENTRAL TIME…
FRIDAY, MAY 16

10:00 SEQUATCHIE COVE FARM TOUR - This day will start with a trip to
the “Sequatchie Cove Farm,” a diversified family-run biodynamic farm
working with available resources, focusing on grass-based animal
protein (eggs, meat). They also raise bees and native plants, operate
a pick-your-own berry patch
and have made their own biodiesel.

2:00 -2:15 ARRIVALS AT MOONSHADOW, TENT SET-UP and LUNCH

2:30-6:00 FERMENTATION - WINE, BEER AND TEMPEH (Ashley and Patrick
Ironwood and Sandorkraut) - We plan to illustrate the art of
fermentation by making 15 gallons of beer, 5 gallons of wine, 20
gallons of mead and 10 pounds of tempeh!

6:15 DINNER

7:45 WELCOME CIRCLE and Vision Sharing (Facilitator: Sandorkraut) -
We’ll open Food for Life this year with a circle in which we will
brainstorm about ways folks can reclaim food from corporate control.
Bring ideas, visions, and fantasies of grassroots action to create
better food choices. In our circle we will share our visions and
inspire one another to action.

SATURDAY, MAY 17

8:00-9:00 BREAKFAST

9:00 MORNING CIRCLE

9:30-11:45 CHOICE OF TWO WORKSHOPS:
TOO MUCH FOOD?? (Carol Kimmons) - Safe and Healthy Food Preservation.
This hands-on workshop will cover fun and easy methods of canning,
pickling, freezing, and drying your surplus from the garden or market.
Materials and instruction booklets included.
PLAY WITH YER FOOD (Michelle Kimmons) - A hands-on crafts workshop
just for kids! (…yes, grown-ups are welcome to participate as well).
Hope your imaginations are hungry, because Michelle is cookin’ up some
creative fun! This year, we will look at examples of art inspired by
food and make fabulous drawings using culinary herbs and spices! Your
refrigerator has never seen art like this!

12:00-1:15 LUNCH

1:30-3:15 ECONUTRITION (Joel Kimmons) - Lets talk about nourishment-
ecology and where we fit in- how can we live an inspired gastronomic
experience while nourishing the earth and all her communities. Local
food, CSAs, farmers markets, community gardens, green spaces, school
gardens, cooking, eating, and how to be more than just poop factories.
Bring short questions (or don’t) and we will work towards the best
answers in a real world and whole world
perspective.

3:30-5:15 FERMENTATION SHOW AND TELL (Sandorkraut) - An eclectic
introduction to the magic of fermentation. Learn about the healing
qualities and nutritional importance of live-culture ferments, as well
as their illustrious history and integral role in human cultural
evolution. Experience how simple it is to make your own kimchi, kefir,
mead, and other fermented delicacies. Bring ferments to share (if you
have any) and troubleshooting questions. Sandorkraut is the author of
the much-loved book, “Wild Fermentation.” A “cultural revivalist,” he
got his start teaching about fermentation at Food For Life. Check out
his website at www.wildfermentation.com.

5:30-7:00 GLOBALIZATION AND THIRD WORLD POVERTY (Sandy Hepler) -
Coming to Your Neighborhood Soon. This workshop will have a special
emphasis on food and nutrition. Experiences and food costs will be
drawn from Sandy’s experiences in Nicaragua which are typical of many
3rd world countries.

7:15 PIZZA DINNER (in the cob oven)

SUNDAY, MAY 18

8:00-9:00 BREAKFAST

9:00 MORNING CIRCLE AND FERMENTATION CHECK-IN

9:30-11:15 WILD EDIBLES AND NATIVE PLANTS (Carol Kimmons) Walk through
the fields and forest to discover plants which have fed and healed
Appalachian humans for thousands of years. Learn about current
research on safe medical uses of our native plants. Collect plants to
make a “wild salad” for the evening meal.

11:30-12:30 WILDCRAFTING AND MEDICINE-MAKING (Rachel Fee-Prince) -
This workshop focuses on simple herbal preparations such as infusions,
vinegars, syrups, and elixers. Learn how to use herbs daily to nourish
& sustain the body, not just treatment for illness and dis-ease. Bring
your taste buds.

12:30 LUNCH

1:45-3:15 CHOCOLATE SURPRISE (Sandy Hepler) - Explore an all-time
world favorite. Cacao itself is health food and can be made healthier.
Original Aztecs drank it as a hot, bitter, peppered drink (did they
ever add honey?). A really healthy, great-tasting chocolate is
possible! samples of delicious organic chocolate are guaranteed. These
are handmade in northern Tennessee by Sandy Hepler himself, our Mad
Kitchen Scientist.

4:15 CLOSING CIRCLE

please note my new email address

ashley ironwood