[Sviannouncements] april update

ashley ironwood ashley at svionline.org
Tue May 13 14:28:59 EDT 2008

greetings, friends!
we've officially moved on from doing "building updates" and are now
USING IT!  so, this update will be about recent programs in addition
to filling you in on the completion of the structure that still has no
committed name.  spring has been amazing this year - after last year's
april freeze we are profoundly grateful for the abundance of flowers
and green surrounding us.  life is good!

how fitting it is, then, to start with a recap of the wildflower hike
(which actually happened march 29th)...
despite the threat of rain, about 15 folks showed up for the hike with
carol, patrick and john johnson.  we wandered the trails finding many
early spring treasures and making new friends.  there are more
pictures of the day on our website: www.svionline.org (in the what we
do section).

april was the month we finally slowed down a bit on building.  after
getting the roof on, rain was no longer a threat but an opportunity to
enjoy the sound of pitter-pats on metal, protected by the structure
and yet right there in the middle of a storm.

alex put in about 50 steel braces so we can dance on the top floor in
a hurricane and not worry about the structure falling over.

bradley, meli, ashley and patrick put up the first floor to second
floor's staircase.

we had a small work day with alex, jeannie, wren, sean, mirel and
quin.  they helped bundle scraps, clean up the place and put up the
first staircase's banister.

patrick put in about 30 wooden braces, working over his head with a
chainsaw - it was almost like being in a sandstorm!

ashley, randall and patrick put in the wire fences (reclaimed from a
llama pen) so nobody will fall off the second or third floors.  and,
that's that!  here it is!  and it is AMAZING!

our first event to be held in the new "deck of infinite possibilities"
was a day of concerts by david rovics, one for kids and an evening
performance geared toward adults.  david has been called the musical
voice of the progressive movement in the united states.  amy goodman
has called him "the musical version of democracy now!"  since the
mid-90's rovics has spent most of his time on the road, playing
hundreds of shows every year throughout north america, europe, latin
america, the middle east and japan.  we feel so fortunate to be able
to share our close friend, david, with the extended moonshadow
community.  check out his website: www.davidrovics.com

frank cook spent a full day leading plant walks and disscusions on
healing plants, botany and philosophy.   even with limited
advertising, 17 people came to moonshadow for this gloriously
enlightening day.  we collected wild edibles for all our meals and
shared teas throughout the day together.

we are forming an ecovillage - and with it the village artisan
collective!  nada jones, from ulinawi; marissa harlin and rachel fee-
prince, from satya; and carol, patrick and i from moonshadow have come
together for our first collective project: the market at greenlife
grocery in chattanooga.  come check it out on wednesdays and saturdays
if you live in the area.

we'd like to welcome and applaud randall tomlinson, our head gardener
for the spring and summer.  what a blessing it is for us to have him
here.  whether he's in the garden, playing with the kids, washing the
dishes or simply engaging in a conversation, his deep connection with
everything he touches is inspiring us all.

and for those of you aching to hear about beau's travels along the
appalachian trail, we can report that he's doing great!  he's hiking
an average of 16 miles/day and loving every inch of it!  he's way
ahead of schedule and has already hiked 850 miles!  every time we talk
with him we are reminded of how much we miss him, and in the same
breath are thrilled to know he's having the time of his life.

so...  may is upon us, full of workshops and planting.  drop us a line
and come on over for a visit!

for life, love and dancing spirit,
ashley ironwood and the moonshadow crew.

please note my new email address

ashley ironwood
sequatchie valley institute
1233 cartwright loop