[Sviannouncements] january building update

ashley ironwood ashley at svionline.org
Tue Jan 29 20:04:04 EST 2008

greetings, friends!

well, we got back into it mid-january with a super-great work-weekend
full of positive energy and lots of progress.  we got over half of
the posts up on the second floor and had enough strong backs to lift
all of the beams into place.  that's the kind of work we just can't
do alone - it's really taking a community to build this community
structure!  special thanks to trae and his dad-in-love, jerry, for
their help that weekend.  kelsey, noah and ryan showed up just in
time to help lift beams, too!

all of the beams were in place on their braces, waiting to be notched
in over the next quiet week...  it was cold - BUT IT WASN'T RAINING!
much thanks to anne and her son, ravi, for helping us in the kitchen
and playing with sage and anakeesta while we worked.

patrick, alex, ashley and bradley got the beams in place and began
notching the floor joists...  johnny milled the rafter beams - i even
learned how to use the chainsaw...  thanks, marjorie rose, for
hanging out with the kids!

here's a new perspective for you - gives you an idea of where the
structure is and it's size - and we still have one more level to go:

then the rains came again and the great cover-it dance ensued...

while it was raining a whole crew of folks joined us planning a very
full week of progress.  and progress was what happened - in
abundance!  anthony and paul came from indiana with many skills and
an incredible work ethic.  horrace and sasha were the fairy queen and
king of large and delicious lunches, all the while keeping an eye on
all of the kids - including two of their own - and the kids played hard!

the weekend brought more folks - lots of them - we counted 13 kids
and 13 adults at one point - it was amazing.  jon cable brought his
tools and his fearless attitude - he got sent out to the edges a
lot.  the harlins came from chattanooga - tadd helped build, marissa
cooked a huge meal for everyone and they added to the kid count by
4.  bradley helped build while nada and logan did their thang.  joel
jumped right in the building process and michelle and lannea watched
in awe as the chaos swirled around them.  thanks, marjorie rose, for
being with nana so alex could build.  thanks, michelle, marissa and
nada, for hanging out with the kids...  it was a party!

now - check this out!  all of the floor joists are done - ready for
the third floor...  and the rafters on the side are almost ready for
a roof.  we can hardly believe how much we got done in such a short
period of time...  i'm exhausted!

so, now it's raining again - the structure is all tucked in -

patrick is at his desk mumbling about weather reports, making plans
to roll up the sides of the tarps to finish the side roofs during the
breaks in the rain next week...  thank goodness the rain will stop
before too late tonight so he can get some sleep...  alex just called
to find out how the tarps are holding up...  beau is home now and has
already put in a couple of full days of work - he's planning to rip
all of the wood needed for the second floor by the time the rain ends.

and here i am asking you again for your help.  we'd love to have you
here - building, cooking, cleaning, childcare.  if we could get the
roof on this thing - ahhhh, we would all breathe a HUGE sigh of
relief.  we're willing to help with your travel expenses - and room
and board are on svi.  there's something for everyone who wants to help.

some jobs mean just sitting around:

some jobs simply need a few more hands!

it's a ton of fun - let us know if you can join us.

thanks,
ashley and the moonshadow crew

please note my new email address

ashley ironwood