[Sviannouncements] food for life - this weekend

ashley ironwood ashley at svionline.org
Wed Jun 20 13:38:03 EDT 2007

FOOD FOR LIFE IS THIS COMING WEEKEND!  LET US KNOW IF YOU'RE PLANNING
TO JOIN US - WE HOPE TO SEE YOU!!

************************

the sequatchie valley institute
at moonshadow

invites you to the ninth annual

food for life
in the new millenium

a gathering about the source and protection of life
held in beautiful rural tennessee

june 22-24, 2007
(schedule below)

with a special pre-workshop tour of the sequatchie cove farm on the 21st

our ninth annual comprehensive food conference includes skill-
building workshops as well as discussion-oriented political dialogues.

learn various food preservation strategies including fermentation
(miso, sauerkraut, kimchi, wine, beer, mead and champagnes) as well
as different methods of cooking and diet choices, health and nutrition.

attend workshops on edible and medicinal plants, permaculture and
organic gardening practices.

engage in theoretical and political explorations of the social and
ecological implications of industrial agriculture.  discuss
strategies for mobilizing against biotech and agribusiness, and
promoting sustainable community-based food systems instead of global
monopolies.

contact moonshadow for a brochure which explains the schedule and fees.

all workshops at the sequatchie valley institute are intentionally
affordable using a sliding scale based on your income.
food exchange is available.

for more information:
nada at everyvoice.net
(423) 949-5922

see you there!

***************************

SEQUATCHIE VALLEY INSTITUTE’S EIGHTH ANNUAL
FOOD FOR LIFE

2007 SCHEDULE
(subject to change - please call if you want to be sure about a
particular workshop)

Food for Life is run on CENTRAL TIME...

FRIDAY, JUNE 22

10:00  *   SEQUATCHIE COVE FARM TOUR - This day will start with a
trip to the "Sequatchie Cove Farm," a diversified family-run
biodynamic farm working with available resources, focusing on grass-
based animal protein (eggs, meat).  They also raise bees and native
plants, operate a pick-your-own berry patch and have made their own
biodiesel.
12:00     ARRIVALS AND TENT SET-UP
2:30-6:00  *  FERMENTATION ONE - WINE, BEER AND TEMPEH  (Ashley and
Patrick Ironwood and Sandorkraut) - We plan to illustrate the art of
fermentation by making 15 gallons of beer, 5 gallons of wine, 20
gallons of mead and 10 pounds of tempeh!
6:15     DINNER
7:45    WELCOME CIRCLE

SATURDAY, JUNE 23

8:00-9:00     BREAKFAST
9:00     MORNING CIRCLE
CHOICE OF TWO WORKSHOPS:
9:30-11:45  * TOO MUCH FOOD??  (Carol Kimmons) - Safe and Healthy
Food Preservation.  This hands-on workshop will cover fun and easy
methods of canning, pickling, freezing, and drying your surplus from
the garden or market.  Materials and instruction booklets included.
*  Play With Yer Food  (Michelle Kimmons) - A hands-on crafts
workshop just for kids!  (...yes, grown-ups are welcome to
participate as well).  This year, Michelle will show us how to use
ordinary produce to make extra-ordinary artwork!  We will be using
fruit and vegetables as stamps to decorate t-shirts among other
things.  We will also cook up some more creativity exploring oodles
of fun with noodles, bread dough beads and whatever else Michelle has
up her sleeve.  PARENTS: Please bring a t-shirt for each participant,
and remember to eat five servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
12:00-1:15     LUNCH
1:30-3:30    *  ECONUTRITION (Joel Kimmons) - Lets talk about
nourishment- ecology and where we fit in- how can we live an inspired
gastronomic experience while nourishing the earth and all her
communities.  Local food, CSAs, farmers markets, community gardens,
green spaces, school gardens, cooking, eating, and how to be more
than just poop factories.  Bring  short questions (or don’t) and we
will work towards the best  answers in a real world and whole world
perspective.
3:45-5:45  *  FERMENTATION SHOW AND TELL (Sandorkraut) - An eclectic
introduction to the magic of fermentation. We’ll learn about the
health benefits and illustrious history of fermented foods, and see
and taste many different ferments (including kimchi, sauerkraut,
kefir, miso, kombucha, goat cheese, and kishk). We’ll also start a
batch of sauerkraut, some idli (south Indian steam breads we’ll
prepare later in the weekend), and start catching wild yeasts for
sourdough and mead. Bring along any ferments you have for this
participatory show and tell.  Sandy is the author of the much-loved
book, “Wild Fermentation.”
6:00   DINNER (in the cob oven)
7:30     TBA

SUNDAY, JUNE 24TH

8:00-9:00     BREAKFAST
9:00  MORNING CIRCLE AND FERMENTATION CHECK-IN
9:30-11:00  *  EDIBLE LANDSCAPING AND PERMACULTURE  TOUR OF
MOONSHADOW (Patrick and Ashley Ironwood) We will tour Moonshadow’s
edible landscape while learning the basic ideas and terminology of
Permaculture.
11:15-12:15 *  VEGGIE DESSERTS?  (Ann Keener) -  How to feed your
sweet tooth and use up vegetables that are taking over your garden at
the same time.  We’ll use whatever vegetables are in season in the
garden (summer squash, beets, chile peppers?) to create sinfully
wonderful desserts... using local sugars (sorgum or honey) and
vegetable-overload inspired
imagination.
12:30   LUNCH
1:45  *  Local Food Beyond Consumerism: Sustainability is
Participation (Sandorkraut) - This discussion will be inspired by
Sandy’s recent highly acclaimed book, “The Revolution Will Not be
Microwaved.”
4:15	CLOSING CIRCLE

REGISTRATION:

* The cost for Friday will be $15-$25 sliding scale for the workshop
(s)/meal.
* $25-$50 per day sliding-scale fee requested for Saturday and Sunday
(includes food, camping and workshop fee)
* Any day can be done a la carte:
  Single workshop: $10 - Single meals: $5
* We need $25 non-refundable deposit to hold your space

Fundraising efforts are underway to allow us to offer some partial
scholarships.
Food exchange for partial scholarships is also a possibilty.

If you would like to apply for a partial scholarship, send us your
name, address, phone and email, as well as an essay explaining why
you feel you deserve the scholarship and what you plan to do with
your acquired knowledge.

YES!  I WILL BE AT FOOD FOR LIFE
FOR THE FOLLOWING DAY(S):

I CAN ONLY MAKE SINGLE WORKSHOPS, (PLEASE INDICATE WHICH ONES HERE):

I PLAN TO PAY     $_____________________

I HAVE ENCLOSED   $25  deposit

	    PLUS   $_____________________

NAME:

ADDRESS:

EMAIL:

PHONE:

The mission of the Sequatchie Valley Institute is to offer society an
opportunity to experience and learn about living in harmony with
nature by providing education, art and research opportunities, land
conservation and restoration; a dynamic model residence & learning
center; and a vision for attaining a sustainable future

Our five main programs are: Landscape and Architecture (permaculture,
edible landscaping, natural building, and alternative energy),
Outreach, Education and Research (off-site presentations and
counseling, tours, teacher enrichment and academic research),
Moonshadow Programs (workshops, conferences and events),
MEDIA RIGHTS (a media production company encompassing the goals of
SVI, producing newsletters, video, audio, public art projects and the
SVI website) and Land Conservation.

please note my new email address

ashley ironwood
sequatchie valley institute