[Sviannouncements] 15th annual "Food for Life": May 31 - June 2, 2013

Sequatchie Valley Institute officemanager at svionline.org
Mon May 20 19:39:24 EDT 2013

Food for Life 2013

May 31 - June 2, 2013

For nearly two decades the Sequatchie Valley Institute’s annual “Food for Life” event at Moonshadow has gathered thinkers, practitioners, dreamers, and eaters alike.  On the walls of the ancient Cumberland Plateau, Food for Life is an act of community connecting and opening us to the flow of energy we call food.
In a space where being is your criteria for expertise, discussion and presentations range from the practical, common, and scientific to the edgy netherworlds of speculation, mythology, and spirit.  Topics covered in these manners include, fermentation and the art of cooking,  the joy of eating, nutrition, herbal medicine, crop and animal production and building relationships with the origins of our food.
Workshop leaders are drawn from a wide background of expertise and experience – allowing for a variety in the types of teaching, learning, and interaction.
Sessions Cover:

food preparation and preservation strategies, including canning, drying, and fermentation. The exploration of various fermentation cultures, such as sour kraut and kim chi, mead, wine and beer making, kombucha, kefir, sour dough, miso, yogurt and cheese making. Our keynote speaker on this topic is Sandor Katz, the well loved southeastern author of “The Art of Fermentation” and “Wild Fermentation.” This underground fermentation superhero will be sharing his enthusiasm for & wisdom about various aspects of health and vitality through fermentation.
permaculture gardening & edible landscaping, with an emphasis on how to create & live within your own abundant environment
plant walks, meeting & greeting our local wild edible & medicinal plants here in the forest, harvesting, discussion and preparation of various medicines
metabolic, nutritional, biochemical, evolutionary relationships to health and disease
theoretical and political explorations of the social and ecological implications of industrial agriculture as well as the pitfalls of the modern diet & an exploration of various methods of creating sustainable community-based food systems instead of global monopolies
a comprehensive kids program encouraging adventurous eating & a real connection & relationship with food.  We will be sharing yummy snack ideas that kids prepare & share, food based art projects, ways to play with your food, kids fermentation by making herbal sodas & general fun in the garden & fun with our food.  We view kids as the future and helping them to fully understand how important it is to make wise choices about where their food comes from, how it is prepared & the ways in which we share it is imperative to a sustainable & abundant future.
the art of bread making, culminating in a pizza party in our outdoor wood fired earthen oven
tours of our land and hand built homes, permaculture gardens and sustainable lifestyle
games, theatre, live music, sharing circles, and of course, delicious food!
All events are intentionally affordable and we ask $25 — $50 per adult, per day and children are $5-$20 per child per day, which includes lovingly prepared nutritious meals and admission to all workshops and lectures.
There is a $10 camping fee for the weekend.  Sliding scales are available for those who need it. All Sequatchie Valley Institute members receive a 10% discount.  We are not for profit (501c3), and all proceeds go to cover the costs of this and future events. Limited work trade is available and needs to be arranged in advance. Food trade is accepted, but only if the food is nutritionally and ethically sound (i.e., produced in manner that makes our world a better place). All food trade must be approved in advance.
Our goal is to deepen community through educating and empowering people in one of the most fundamental aspects of being… FOOD.
Food for Life 2013 Schedule
Friday, May 31

9:00 AM  Welcome!
Register and set up camp.
10:00 Tour
Explore the structures and gardens with Johnny and Carol.
11:00-11:45  Opening Circle
11:45-12:45   Lunch
1:00-3:30  1st  Session
Plant Walk with Alan Powell
Come & discover our lovely slice of Appalachia on this guided hike with Alan, who will introduce local plants in the forest and fields.  We will harvest wild edibles & medicinal plants to bring back & turn into medicine, mead & magik!
3:30   Bentos!
4:00-5:30    2nd Session
Medicine, Mead, & Magik
Patrick, Marissa & Maya will explore a variety of tinctures, tonics & fermented beverages.  We’ll chat about yeasts, sample brews, & make wild wine from the plants we gathered on Alan’s walk.
5:45-6:00 Dinner Bell & Circle
6:00-7:00   Dinner
7:00-9:00   Connections
We will begin with “The Green Man, A Tribute to Frank Cook,” a short film about this deep ecologist who inspired many of us to discover wild foods.   We’ll share our relationship with food.  Then we’ll explore how we came to be the animals that we are and the serendipitous events that brought us all to this unlikely event in the woods!
Saturday, June 1

7:45   Rise & Shine!
8:00  Morning Circle
8:20-9:20  Breakfast
9:30-12:00  1st Session
Optimal for What?
Join Joel Kimmons & Bill Keener for a moderated conversation on food, cooking, diet, and wellness.  Nothing trumps fiction like the real!  Explore the labyrinth of millions of years past to consider the evolution of metabolic processes in the twisting arms of nature’s bounty.  How, why, and how much:  What does it mean to pursue an optimal diet?
12:00-12:20    Afternoon Circle
12:30-1:30    Lunch
1:30-3:30   2nd Session
The Art of Fermentation
Join well-loved southeastern author & wild fermentation master, Sandor Katz, as he spins the web of folklore & practicality into a delicious version of reality!  Learn to create your own sauerkraut, kim chi, kefir, kombucha and other healthy fermentation foods at home.
3:30   Bentos!
4:00-5:00   Fermenting Grains
Join Patrick & Marissa discussing sprouting & fermenting wheat & the art of making bread, while creating the pizza dough for dinner.
5:00-6:30   Evening Entertainment
Join Michelle Kimmons & the FFL kids in an art opening to view the creations from the kids’ programs.  Cheese and (kid) “wine” will be served.
Bridge the arts and the environment with Cerulean & WAN Love in collaboration with Friends of the Forest (the SVI homeschool program), performing, playing, and having fun!

6:30-8:30   Pizza Party!
Create your own masterpiece using locally grown toppings on sourdough crusts made in our workshop, then bake them in the earthen wood-fired oven!
9:00-??? Campfire Shindig
Don’t forget your instruments, stories and songs to share ‘round the campfire. Pass your favorite drinks or homebrew around– bring some, drink some, share some! We’ll have teas of local herbs, cocoa, and homebrews.  What will you bring?
Sunday, June 2

7:30-8:30   Coffee, Tea & Crumpets
8:30-8:45     Morning Circle
8:45-10:00    1st Sessions
A. Safe and Healthy Food Preservation
Discover fun and easy methods of canning, freezing, and drying your surplus from garden and market.
B. Dairy 101.  Join Andy Onion for a hands-on workshop to explore soft cheese, yoghurt, & other milk products.
10:-10:15  Brunch Circle
10:15-11:30   Dutch Brunch!
Enjoy Dutch oven baked food, sprouted breads & more!
11:30-1:30   2nd Session
Wild Woods Mushrooms
Join Matt Shigekawa as he shares his adventures in wild foraging.  Then take a hike in search of elusive edible fungi…happy hunting!
1:45   Closing Circle
We need a handful of folks to stick around to help clean up the aftermath of this glorious event!

Family Friendly Schedule
Programs created with kids in mind!
Friday, May 31

2:00-3:30   1st Session:    Cheese!
Join Lori Carter and her baby goat from The Farm Camp & learn basic cheese making skills.  Help prepare the 3:30 Bentos!
4:00-5:30    2nd Session:  Relax!
Join Allyson Ford for a relaxing movement session designed to relax, refresh & renew you.
7:00-9:00   Movie in the Woods
Bring your blankets & cozy up under the stars for this outdoor big screen viewing of a surprise food movie!
Saturday, June 1

9:30-12:00   1st Session
Play with Yer Food!  All are welcome to join Michelle Kimmons for a hands-on exploration of food-based art, featuring Kool-Aid water colors, spaghetti sculptures, games, stories & more!
12:00-12:20    Afternoon Circle
12:30-1:30    Lunch
1:30-3:30   2nd Session
Food Mandala!  Join Lisa Fox & her daughter Tori for this beautiful exploration of art & food, creating a meditative mandala of food to be shared at Bentos!
3:30  Kids Share Bentos!
4:00-5:00  Gallery Preparations
We will transform our outdoor pavilion into a gallery to display our food art creations. Everyone is invited to an Art Opening, complete with “wine”, juice & cheese!
5:00-6:30   Art Opening
Participants share their artistic creations as we mingle in the gallery!  Lynn Grabowski, from the Avian Learning Center, will display her fascinating collection of nests & eggs & share wisdom about birds.  Then join Cerulean, WAN Love & Friends of the Forest for forest frolicking, theatre & games!
6:30-8:30   Pizza Party!
Create your own masterpiece on our sour dough crusts, then enjoy the unique flavor of our earthen wood-fired oven!
Sunday, June 2

8:45-10:00    1st Session
Bento:  Artful Box Lunches
Join Mirel Crumb to learn about artistic presentations & healthy combinations of yummy food.  Participants will share their creations with everyone at the 10:15 Dutch Brunch!
10:-10:15  Brunch Circle
10:15-11:30   Dutch Brunch!
Enjoy a bounty of Dutch oven delights, sprouted bread, fresh fruits & more!
11:30-1:30   2nd Session TBA

Download a flyer to print and post in your community:

Download the full schedule and share with friends: