[Sviannouncements] Beehive Design Collective visits Chattanooga "True Cost of Coal" Oct. 23-25

Sequatchie Valley Institute officemanager at svionline.org
Tue Oct 12 16:03:09 EDT 2010

The Beehive Design Collective will visit Chattanooga Oct 23-25.

A swarm is coming!  The Beehive Design Collective is heading this way to release their long-anticipated “True Cost of Coal” graphic campaign! Four members of the Beehive Collective will present a "Picture-Lecture" in which they tell stories described in their huge graphic, an elaborate narrative illustration that explores the complex story of mountaintop removal coal mining and the broader impacts of coal. The image is the culmination of an intensive, collaborative research process. To make the poster, the Beehive interviewed hundreds of community members throughout the Appalachian region.  The Bees craft these stories into visual metaphors, weave them together in a patchwork “quilt,” and share them with audiences as a larger-than-life banner.

The Beehive’s picture-lectures prompt discussion and understanding of contemporary struggles about energy and coal, while honoring the deep legacy of the Appalachian experience. The Bees are currently on a tour of Appalachia and have stops all over Eastern Tennessee. This is part of a national tour that was launched at Appalachia Rising, national day of action to END MTR in Washington DC last month. Upon seeing the graphic, Tanya  Turner of Pineville, KY said,  “This image is changing Appalachia. Appalachians are taking back Appalachia and this image is a tool for that change.”

Picture-Lecture
Sat. Oct 23rd
5:30-7:30pm
Green/Spaces
63 E. Main Street
Chattanooga, TN
FREE

Potluck
Sun.Oct 24th  1pm
Sequatchie Valley Institute
@Moonshadow
1233 Cartwright Loop
Whitwell, TN 37397
Donations/sliding-scale

Picture-Lecture
Mon. Oct 25th
9:30-11:30am
Chattanooga State
Humanities Building
Lobby
FREE

For more information and to view the graphics visit http://www.beehivecollective.org
OR http://beehivecollective.blogspot.com

Word of mouth is the best buzz! Make a few phone calls to get your friends there!

A few notes: We are raising money for the Beehive's Appalachian Tour. So...please participate in our Do-It-Yourself Auction.
Details for the DIY Auction. Bring something you grew or made, or that you think is hand made or locally grown. Place it in the Auction at green/spaces and at Moonshadow. (and at the TBA reception Sat. nite*). You may also offer a service for the auction. For example, offer a massage, a date, help of some sort, a song or dance! Proceeds go to the Bees and we'll give them right of first refusal as well (i.e. if you bring a cucumber you grew, we'll see if the Bees want your cucumber or the money it might raise.)

*[the reception location will be announced at the green/spaces event]