[Sviannouncements] Pasture raised chicken from Ulinawi!

office manager officemanager at svionline.org
Mon Jul 13 21:14:17 EDT 2009

New from Ulinawi, Moonshadow's sister community - pasture raised
chicken.

Ulinawi is a fledgling community and family farm, and in our first
attempt at larger-scale livestock, we've raised up a whole flock of
rhode island red roosters. these birds have been ranging widely on our
fields of invasive chinese honeysuckle, doing triple-duty in pasture
management, fertilization, and growing into big healthy dinners!

this year, we experimented simultaneously with classic breeds (rhode
island reds and buff orpingtons) and with the super-bred, giant-
breasted, cornish cross creations. our results were about what you'd
expect - the cornish cross developed giant breasts in the first six
weeks of life, but were sluggish and seemed very reluctant to thrive.
the classic breeds were hearty and wily, but didn't recognize the
cornish cross as the same species, and were slow to put on weight.

now, three months into this endeavour, the cornish cross are all in
the freezer (there are a few left - they were delicious!), and the
reds are ready to be harvested. all these birds have fed on bugs,
greens, compost and non-medicated feeds, and are delicious and healthy
- but not at all what you see stamped with tyson at your supermarket.
they are smaller-breasted and smaller-bodied, considered a
"poulard" (adolescent) at about 3# each, but they are the hardy and
traditional birds developed from the 1800's in massachusets and rhode
island.

they will be available exclusively for pre-order (they're still alive)
for pickup at the wednesday main-street market in Chattanooga.

if you're interested, please contact nada jones at
craftmonkey at ymail.com or 510-853-0888

thanks!
.bradley jones
..510-853-0888