[Sviannouncements] More Children's Workshops and Food Donations @ Food For Life 2009

Sequatchie Valley Institute officemanager at svionline.org
Fri Apr 24 16:37:48 EDT 2009

We've added several more Children's Workshops for 2009, thanks to our
fun friends the Baehrs and our own Trish Woolbright!

We will also be doing a mass inoculation of Shiitake mushroom logs on
Monday, May 29, followed by a hike and swim.

SATURDAY, MAY 23

9:30-11:45 PLAY WITH YER FOOD (Michelle Kimmons) - A hands-on crafts
workshop just for kids! (…yes, grown-ups are welcome to participate
as well). Hope your imaginations are hungry, because Michelle is
cookin’ up some creative fun!  This year, we will look at examples
of art inspired by food and then make our own fabulous art using
things found in the kitchen! Your refrigerator has never seen art
like this!

1:30-3:15  (same time as Econutrition) Composting & Vermiculture for
Kids -- (Tricia Baehr & Trish Woolbright) We will explore composting
& vemiculture, how it works, what can be composted and what can not,
the science behind it all and how it’s an important part of making
food grow and taste great! Bring a container any size that will work
for your household composting and your child will get decorate it
artistically. Dress appropriately to get dirty and have fun!

FRIDAY, MAY 29

9:30-10:30 (During Slow Food) Plant a Spaghetti Garden (Tricia
Baehr)  - Kids will have fun starting seeds for their very own
spaghetti garden. Plan for the kids to get dirty and their spaghetti
garden will get a great start with a rich composted soil. Then we’ll
plant the seeds for tomatoes, zucchini, oregano and basil for the
children to take home and watch grow! Please bring 4 recycled tin
cans or other recycled containers that they can decorate and punch
holes in for drainage.

SATURDAY, MAY 30

9:30-11:30 (same time as Mushroom Cultivation) The Mad Hatter Tea
Party (Tricia & Birke Baehr) - Kids can wear their favorite hat as we
explore herbs and teas, tasting, smelling and touching different
things from the garden and woods while learning about the healing
properties and health benefits of drinking tea. Bring a small
recycled container for your child to make their own tea blend to
enjoy at home after the workshop.

SUNDAY, MAY 31
9:30-11:00 (Same time as Sausage Making) Sprouting with Sprouts!
(Tricia Baehr) What’s more fun than watching food grow in your own
kitchen and eating it in just a few days? Kids will learn all about
sprouting, how it works, what you can sprout, recipes and ideas as
well as a sprout tasting. Bring a quart jar and your child will go
home with a grow it and eat it project! They’ll learn responsibility
with rinsing and draining and about a healthy new food for life!

Food Donations...

Download the attached file or see:
http://svionline.org/svi/513/food-for-life-2009/

And don't forget our monthly tours on the 3rd Saturday...
April 2009:
April 25: Party for the Planet — Earth Day at the Aquarium
April 26: Chattanooga Market Day
April 27: Beehive Collective — True Cost of Coal
May 2009:
May 16: SVI Tour of Moonshadow
May 21: Food For Life (May 21-31)
June 2009: