Join us for the 19th Annual
Food for Life Conference
a gathering about the source and protection of life
At Sequatchie Valley Institute
Near Chattanooga, TN
April 28-30, 2017
Welcome to this family friendly
festival a short drive from Chattanooga, TN. As an act of community, perched on the canyon walls of the ancient Cumberland Plateau, we will connect and open to the flow of energy that we all call food. Most workshops will take place outdoors amid forest and gardens. Camping, great food, fire, and music included!
- Be a part of the fermentation revival! Learn to ferment healthful foods like sauerkraut, kefir, & kim chi at home.
- Plant walks discovering uses of our local plants and herbs for food and medicine.
- Health and Nutrition: Joel Kimmons PhD, CDC
- Permaculture gardening & edible landscaping.
- An outdoor kids’ program including adventurous eating, compost, hikes, games, theater, and more.
- Mushroom Cultivation, shiitakes and more. Take home your own inoculated oak shiitake log.
- Food Preservation: Canning, freezing, and drying
- Cooking with wood: Dutch ovens, wood cook stoves, and outdoor clay ovens.
- Organic grain farming.
- Butchering your own healthy meat.
- Breadmaking Art and a clay oven pizza party.
- Brewing—sodas, meads, wine and liqueurs
- Tours of the hand-built solar homes, gardens, and greenhouses at SVI with emphasis on sustainability.
- Kitchen skills and cooking basics—join with our outdoor kitchen cooks to produce delicious meals.
- Bonfires, music, massage, and great local food!
The program is intentionally affordable with an income-based sliding scale for the three-day event of $100-$200. Saturday only: $40-$100. Children under 9 yrs free, 10-16 yrs $10-$40/day. Prices include lovingly prepared nutritious meals, admission to workshops and children’s programs, and rustic camping. SVI members receive a 10% discount.
Work trade is available. Local nutritious and ethically sound food trade or donations are encouraged. Please contact us for details ASAP.
To register or for more information, call 423-949-5922/4598
SVI is located between Dunlap and Whitwell,
1233 Cartwright Loop, Whitwell, TN 37397
Sequatchie Valley Institute is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) educational organization. Proceeds help cover the costs of this and future educational events.